What is required when I apply for a building permit in a flood plain?
The city's land development regulations regulate portions of the city as being within the 100-year floodplain. In other words, there is a one percent chance of flooding in any given year. The zoning ordinances and building codes have special provisions regulating construction and other development within those floodplains.

Before you build, fill, or otherwise develop in a floodplain, contact the Building Department to discuss city regulations. All development in the regulatory floodplain requires an elevation certificate after construction. The elevation certificate is produced by your certified land surveyor and must be turned in to the Building Department prior to issuance of a certificate of occupancy.

Copies of elevation certificates that have been submitted in the past are available for review in the Building Department during regular business hours. Any development within the floodplain without a permit is illegal.

Show All Answers

1. What is a floodplain?
2. What causes flooding in the City of Rockledge?
3. What can I expect if a storm approaches?
4. What can I do to avoid flooding in my home?
5. Is my home in a floodplain?
6. What is required when I apply for a building permit in a flood plain?
7. I've had flood damage to my home or business; do I need a permit for repairs?
8. What can I do to decrease my risk of injury during a flood?
9. Why do I need flood insurance?